Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Simon Dewey (1962- ) American Fork

I am in an unusual predicament: I am looking at a Simon Dewey Painting that I do not like. Usually, I adore Dewey, whose superior technical skills dazzles his viewers and saves his works from their less-brilliant creative composition. But this painting doesn't reasonate with me. I search for the source of my dislike.
The first painting shows too much Greg Olson-y golden glow. I know Olson is very popular with LDS audiences, but I have never liked his Hudson River Valley touches. The golden glow makes the situation seem less precarious; the water less dangerous. Also, Dewey shows the feet of Christ very clearly out of the water, which makes the viewer unconsciously diminish the size of the waves to an ankle-high height.


Simon Dewey
Lord, Save Me, 2003
Acrylic
$19,500

Contrast this painting with the same-named one by Gary Kapp. Although Kapp's painting seems a little outdated, the cold blue hues of the water interject a menace into the situation, and I fear for the fisherman. Kapp's Christ has obscured feet, so the viewer doesn't judge the height of the waves by their comparative height to Christ's figure.



Gary Kapp
Lord Save Me








Conversely, I really like Dewey's painting Abide With Me, although the painting as it is hanging in the Springville Museum of Art currently needs to be restretched badly.

Simon Dewey
Abide With Me, 2005
Acrylic
$14,500











So why do I like Simon Dewey's work sometimes, and other times I dislike it? I've decided that when Dewey breaks out his highly golden pallet, his work starts to resemble Greg Olson's and I like his stuff less. When he keeps his colors somber, his work resemble's Liz Lemon Swindlle's and I like it better.

Try this for yourself: Compare Holy One of Israel (golden highlights) with The Last Supper (darker background). Which one seems dated, about 10 years old? Which one resembles the work of Liz Lemon Swindle? If you are like me, you will prefer the latter painting.


Simon Dewey
Holy One of Israel
(Also in The Ensign Jan 2007 p. 17)

Note that this painting is often mistaken for Beside Still Waters, which is very similar except in the latter the colors are darker, the clouds are different, and the painting extends off to the left. Google both of them and see if you can pick out the diferences.

Simon Dewey
The Last Supper
(Also in The Ensign January 2007 p. 20)


Notes for Collectors
Remember that Dewey has a sizable non-LDS Christian Art clientele, and you are competing for his works in this larger demand pool. Thus, you will pay a premium for Dewey giclees, commensurate with his excellent reputation and accomplished skill with this larger clientele base. I may not like Dewey as much as some others, but I still admire his skill and recommend purchase of his giclees and lithographs for your home; his paintings will be swiftly recognized and admired by all of your house guests. Currently, his highest prices are on Angels Among Us and Daughter Arise. His bargains are As I Have Loved You and Living Water, with the latter works at about half the relative cost of the former.

I did a brief analysis of the pricing of Dewey's lithographic prints, and they stay remarkably consistent at around 80 cents per square inch. Yup, multiply the height and width of the print to get the total square inch area, multiply again by 80 cents, and expect to pay that much. If your source is quoting you more, look around. This rule is consistent whether the print is signed, numbered, limited, or comes with a Certificate of Authenticity. Of course, framing costs will amount to more.

I searched around on the internet and cannot find a source for Dewey originals. I will continue checking. Because of his well known reputation in general Christian Art circles, I assume that investment prospects for Dewey's painting are extraordinarily high.


No comments:

Post a Comment